Thanks for your reply. I didn't intervene in the directory structure at
all as far as I remember, but anyway I renamed the directory where it
was, and ran the installation .exe again. (This was
lyx-1.3.5-win32-nc.exe) with the following result: in C: I now have
C:\lyx
which contains bin, lib, man, share, tmp directories. I did nothing- the
exe did this. The C:\lyx\bin subdirectory contains the lyx.exe program.
In the c:\lyx\share subdirectory I find 2 more sub-subdirectories, one
called locale (which seems to have a lot of other language stuff) and
another called lyx (so this is c:\lyx\share\lyx ) which has packages.lst
and textclass.lst files in. Neither is empty. The first four lines of
textclass.lst are typical of the rest, and look like this-:

"IEEEtran" "IEEEtran" "article (IEEEtran)" "true"
"aa" "aa" "article (A&A)" "false"
"aapaper" "aa" "article (A&A V4)" "false"
"aastex" "aastex" "article (AASTeX)" "true"

When I run lyx, I still get the same error. I tried copying lyx.exe to
the same directory as the textclass.lst files, and it was just the same.
I tried copying the entire contents of the c:\lyx\share\lyx subdirectory
to teh same place as the lyx.exe (ie, C:\lyx\bin) and it made no
difference. The error still says

LyX wasn’t able to find any layout description

Check the contents of the file “textclass.lst”
Sorry, has to exit

I'm way out of my depth here. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Richard