I'd like to be able to do version control of my Lyx files running on Win
XP; but I find the manual etc less than clear.
I did step 1, putting the RCS directoru in C:\lyx\bin which is where
lyx.exe is. But when I try step 1, I get an error message "ci is not a
recognised program" etc.
Should I have installed something else as well?

Yes, you have to install an RCS server. I think all you need is here: http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/trinkle/RCS/ but I have not tried it. I use the RCS utility that comes with cygwin (becuase when I installed it I did not know about the website I have just told you :-( ). Be sure that the rcs.exe file is in the PATH environment variable. Good luck!

Nicolás