Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:
The post on fonts and printing problems has got me thinking.  What is the best
way to print a Lyx formatted document.

At present I convert to .pdf and print it through Acrobat (I am using winxp). Is this the best way or am I likely to come across problems?
I guess the question really is what advantages does using postscript have over
simply converting to pdf.

All thoughts most welcome as I am about to print over 100 pages of D.Phil
thesis!

Geoff

This may depend to some extent on what fonts you're using, and whether your printer is a Postscript printer or not. If you use non-Postscript fonts in a Postscript or PDF file, they either get mapped to "near match" Postscript fonts (which may not be so near) or converted to bitmaps. You'll see posts from people exporting PDFs with "fuzzy" fonts, and the response is always to switch to the ae or pslatex fonts (or maybe one other choice, can't recall).

If you have a Postscript printer and you're using ae or pslatex, I don't think it makes much difference whether you use PDF or PS, as far as text goes. I'm not sure if it makes a difference when it comes to embedded graphics.

If you're using a non-Postscript printer (as I do), the path of least resistance might be to View | DVI and print from the viewer (yap in my case).

If you're using a Postscript printer with non-PS fonts, I'm not sure whether you're better off with PS/PDF or printing from a DVI viewer.

-- Paul