Thanks to everyone for their suggestions about version control. I still
can't seem to get it to work.
I am working with winXP.
I have the RCS files from Purdue, have unzipped them and have put them
in a directory (C:\lyx\RCS) which I have also added to the PATH
variable. (There is no install, start or readme file so I can't think of
any othe rsteps to take.)
I open a lyx file of mine (called prova1.lyx) from my work directory
(c:\documents\richard\lyxfiles) and try to use the verison control from
the lyx file menu.(File-> version control) I usually get a window called
REGISTER, and so I put a comment in (for instance, "first version") and
close. The LYX dos window carries an error message which reads
ci: RCS/prova1.lyx : no such file or directory

If I carry on, or if I close the file, or close LYX, or close windows,
and then start again the same usually happens. But twice, I don't
understand how, I had instead  a slightly different response: instead of
the REGISTER  window I got a menu with other options (check version,
revert, and 2 others I don't remember) and tried to use the options. The
error message this time was
rlog: RCS/prova1.lyx : no such file or directory

Next time I got the REGISTER window again.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Richard