Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:

I have several instances where I write 'refering to equations 1.x and 1.y'.
I am now using the \autoref part of hyperref and it produces nice out put
> but with multiple references like above I get

'refering to equation 1.x and equation 1.y'

It is possible using this package to get the first output using \autoref.

Redefine the command \equationautorefname temporarily.
E.g.

\newlength{\abc}
\settowidth{\abc}{\space}
\newcommand{\NoEqName}{\renewcommand{\equationautorefname}{\hspace{-\abc}}}
\newcommand{\EqName}{\renewcommand{\equationautorefname}{equation\space}}

and then use the command \NoEqName before the second reference and behind it the command \eqName to return to the normal behaviour.

regards Uwe