Brian Williams wrote:
Angus many thanks - but I'm going to seem like a total newbie. :-(

That's fine. Everyone has to start from somewhere.

It says that the Docbook SGML article is unavailable.
> I obviously need to install something (I'm running MiKTeX) -
> could you please point me at a URL? I'm reasonably technically
> competent.

LyX uses a unix shell script "configure" to probe your system. Find it in the LyX support directory. In LyX 1.3.6 that's ${LYXDIR}\Resources\lyx\, where the lyx.exe binary is in ${LYXDIR}\bin\. I've no idea how the equivalent hierarchy is called in Ruurd's ports of earlier LyX flavours, but it should be findable.

This shell script is run as:
$ cd ${LYXDIR}/Resources/lyx
$ sh ./configure

Doing so generates
  lyxrc.defaults  packages.lst  textclass.lst

I guess that textclass.lst will contain entries like:
$ grep SGML textclass.lst
"docbook-book" "book" "DocBook book (SGML)" "false"
"docbook-chapter" "chapter" "DocBook chapter (SGML)" "false"
"docbook-section" "section" "DocBook section (SGML)" "false"
"docbook" "article" "DocBook article (SGML)" "false"
"linuxdoc" "article" "SGML (LinuxDoc article)" "false"
"manpage" "manpage" "SGML (LinuxDoc manpage)" "false"

So, I guess that one way to fool LyX into thinking everything is as it should be is to change some of these "false" to "true" using your favourite text editor.

Longer-term, these entries are generated by the configure script probing your machine. Note that, because it was written for unix machines, it has no notion of the Registry. Everything it looks for must be in your PATH environment variable.

Aside: LyX 1.3.6 --- just released. See http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyX136 --- has a path_prefix entry in lyxrc.defaults that will enable you to adjust your PATH for LyX. Here I have:
$ grep path_prefix /c/Program\ Files/LyX/Resources/lyx/lyxrc.defaults
\path_prefix "J:\MinSYS\bin;C:\Python24;C:\MiKTeX\Main\miktex\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\Perl\bin;c:\program files\Ghostscript 8.33\gs8.33\bin;C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.2.3-Q16"

Anyway, if you look in configure, you'll find an entry:
# Search for DocBook support
echo $ac_n "checking for SGML-tools 2.x (DocBook) or db2x scripts""... $ac_c"
echo "$ac_t""(sgmltools db2dvi)"
DOCBOOK=
for ac_prog in sgmltools db2dvi
do
done

Ie, it's looking for one of "sgmltools" or "db2dvi" before activating your DocBook stuff.

Hope this gets you started...
Angus