On Thursday 21 July 2005 06:59, Herbert Voss wrote:
> Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:
> > Angus Leeming wrote:
> >>Perhaps you should check out http://www.texmacs.org/
> >
> > or (if you're on win)
> > http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/systems/win32/microimp/
>
> works also with wine under *nix and has an own homepage and
> is a _real_ wysiwyg TeX
>
> http://www.microimp.com
>
> Herbert

Angus and Herbert, Thanks for that intro to texmacs though I dont see myself
using it for a wysiwyg wordprocessor. Indeed one of the great things I see
about Lyx is the assurance that I have that things will look right without my
wasting my writing and thinking time on that. However, it did fill a
different void as I was intrigued to see that it allowed import of html and
export of latex to allow an effective conversion from word to Lyx.

Have tried this out with one document which I converted from Word to html
using OpenOffice and then imported into texmacs and exported into latex and
then imported into Lyx.  I found some valuable features which make me think
this is the best way I have seen of getting a word document into lyx

1. The graphic appeared in the lyx document but with some ERT   around it
which was easily dispensed with
2. The sections and subsections  which appeared in Word as 5.1) were not
entered as subsections but did appear with appropriate bold text and were
correctly represented.
3. The title did not appear as a title but as a subsection which had been
"renew"ed in the preamble and therefore had to be removed
4. The itemised elements were identically replicated but using the right
mixture of itemize and enumerate and  indenting
5. It took me about 3 minutes to do all the changes to make it into a
respectable pdf file from Lyx.

I dont know how general these observations are, having been made on the basis
of one conversion,  but there certainly seems to be a case for looking into
it.

samar