On Jul 21, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Lenore Horner wrote:

I thought I'd upgrade to the most recent version of LyX (from 1.3.3) on my iBook running 10.3.9. I downloaded the binary, dragged the LyX icon to my Applications folder and then double clicked the LyX Installer icon whereupon I received the message: "The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -10660)." Any suggestions? A cursory trial of LyX shows that it runs and displays pdf output. I'm rather surprised at that because it should be looking the wrong place for preferences I thought. I didn't try editing a file.

Lenore -

Doing a quick google search on 'error code "-10660" mac os x' (minus the single quotes; the double quotes are needed if google is to search for the number rather than require that it's absent) reveals that this means OS X can't find the application that normally opens the document (in this case the installer script). One cause may be that you have deleted Terminal.app; another may be a corrupted cache somewhere.

Try either:

1. cleaning your caches with cocktail (<http://www.macosxcocktail.com/>) or onyx (<http://www.titanium.free.fr/english.html>) and double-clicking the LyX Installer again, or

2. opening a terminal session manually, and running the LyX Installer from there.

Bennett