----- Original Message ----- From: "Juergen Spitzmueller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-docs@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: Annotating documents

Stephen Harris wrote:

Does the pdf annotation work both ways so that
the author can respond in the same doc as in a conversation?
I don't think it works both ways?

Well, that's the old problem. If the author has Adobe Acrobat (not the
reader), he can edit your comments and place his own comments at any place
of the document. If he only owns the Adobe Reader, he can only view your
comments.
Now since version 7, the user might even place commments in the PDF (or
edit
given comments, for that matter) with the Reader, given that the owner of
the PDF has permitted that. The crux is that you currently can only give
this permission with Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional. The feature is too new
to be intergrated in free tools like pdftk. But, as mentioned before in
this thread, it is likely that pdftk can do it eventually, even that you
can do it directly with pdflatex.

Until then, my solution is kind of one way. At least, you (the author of
the
document, the user of pdflatex), do not need to own Adobe Acrobat to place
comments into the pdf. Your partner might have Acrobat or not. If he does,
everything is fine. If not, he's indeed forced on answers like "wrt first
comment on page 4 I have to say that ..."-

Does this clear things?
Jürgen

P.S. the attached document illustrates the comments that have been
inserted
via \pdfremark. You'll see that they are just simple annotations.

Hello Jürgen,

That seemed like a good explanation to me and it was very thoughtful
or considerate to go out of your way to illustrate the idea graphically.

I've been looking at flpsed which features:
http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/#flpsed

* Add arbitrary text to existing PostScript documents.
* Reedit text, that has been added with flpsed.
* The overall structure of the PostScript document is not modified.
flpsed only adds the additional text.
* Batch processing (no X11 required) to modify tagged text lines that
have been entered interactively with flpsed before. This is very useful
for repeatedly filling in forms.
* Text lines can be imported from other flpsed-modified documents.
* Import and export PDF. Hence it can be used as a PDF editor as well *

SH: My idea or perhaps I should say, candidate for the wishlist, is to
make flpsed optionally available as a LyX download during installation.
flpsed requires gs like LyX. Then flps could be created as a viewer field
reading the output of the justified LyX postscript export of a LyX file.

flpsed installs easily under Linux and OSX already. In your situation with
Windows users, Win XP flps.exe is less than 250k g/win zipped and could
be emailed as an attachment as a standalone exe requiring no registry, etc.
The recipient would need gs installed. And there is a windows version of
xpdf and pdftops which could probably be harnessed to provide pdf *
functionaliy (as in the orignal flpsed) if more than ps commenting is
needed.

I think this adds versatility to LyX since to require that your
collaboratorsinstall all of Lyx (Miktex) is a more demanding of resources.
It took me ten minutes to download and install gs and gsview, and copy
flps.exe from a floppy and another minute to add gs to the Path statement.
I think flpsed provides an interactive solution and further enables a LyX presentation.

So I made a demo for you too. It shows the same file so that quality of the
X11(flpsed) versus Win32(flps) display can be compared. Rendering in
Win takes about 8 seconds and X11 only 2 seconds. The original file was
marked up colored enhancement of flpsed, which is not ported yet. I think
flps or flpsed works well for a few people team writing a paper or a thesis.

Christian suggested moving this topic to the LyX-user list and I hope
nobody minds that I have included the Lyx-user list in the discussion.

Best regards,
Stephen (digest)