Hi!
I know this has been asked many times before, but I have found some
particularities in converting Word 2k files into Lyx. Unfortunately, the
documents have been produced first in Word, and need to be translated now. The
problems are as follows:

1.- Accented characters: the original word document has a number of Central
European characters ({\´s] and the such), as well as French accents. Exporting
from MSWord into a plain text file results in either the French characters
appearing without problems (using the Western European font encoding) and the
Central European appearing as gibberish, or viceversa (using Central Euro Enc.).
Using UTF-8 doesn't improve things. I imported the text into Lyx (1.3.4/5) as
ASCII as paragraphs. How can I export the text so that the accented characters
appear properly in the final DVI?

2.- The inverted commas (") and '-symbol appear as weird things as well.

3.- Automatic import of footnotes would be highly desirable :)

I realise that maybe the answer to numbers 1 and 2 has to do with the way Word
(or OOo) exports into ASCII, and maybe it could be fixed by clever use of
inputenc and fontenc (I don't know how, tho'). Maybe lyx 1.3.6 offers the
possibility of search and replace, but I don't know.

I don't know whether using antiword might be an option.

Any pointers much appreicated!
Jose