Stephen Harris wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul A. Rubin"

One thing this does not fix: there is no way to use View->Update->PDF to view changes while the previous version of the document is open in Reader. Again, I think the fault lies with Windows: while you're displaying the previous version, Windows puts a read lock on the file in the temp directory, so the updated version (which uses the same file name) cannot overwrite it.

Is this workaround useful for this situation?
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXWinTips#pdfwiew
Improved PDF viewing

This tweak makes the View PDF (pdflatex) command open the viewer window automatically and avoids the error message that occurs if you invoke View PDF (pdflatex) with the opened reader. Other viewer windows will remain unaffected.
[...]

This will allow you to alter the document and then see the changed version with View->PDF (pdflatex), without manually closing the previous version. View->Update->PDF (pdflatex) still won't work (fails silently, old version continues to display in reader), but I don't see that as a problem.

Paul