Jose Capco wrote:
Dear List,

I am still using the 1.3.5 version for windows (due to
problems involved with 1.3.6 and Win98). I have a
question on how to write a list when I change the
environment.

I am using the amsbook layout. And when for instance I
am say in the "Proof" environment and I want to
itemize something, then I have to change the
environment to "Itemize" (I use the pulldown menu in
the upper left part of the LyX window). But then I am
not longer in the "Proof" environment.. and when I get
out of the "Itemize" environment, the proof has
already ended..

I hope I got my message clear.. Let me try to give an
example

I want something like this:
(start of Theorem environment)
Theorem: This is Theorem blahblah
(end of Theorem environment)
(start of proof environment)
Proof: To proof this theorem we need the following
steps
(here an itemize environment starts)
-(bullet) Step 1
-(bullet) Step 2
... etc.
(itemize ends.. but still I am in the proof
environment)

Step 1 is blahblabla.....
... (end of proof environment)

Is this at all possible with LyX (1.3.5 here!)?
Yes, and it's not version-specific. You just need to increment the environment depth.

Start the proof, then hit Enter and change the environment to itemize or enumerate (which, as you noted, takes you out of the proof environment). Now increment the environment (S-M-Right, Layout->Increase Environment Depth, or the toolbar button that looks like an indented paragraph with an arrow pointing to the right). The itemize/enumerate environment is now embedded within the proof. You'll have to increment depth for each new item. When you are done with the list, hit Enter and change the environment of the new paragraph back to proof. This will continue the current proof.

Paul