----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Flynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: Problems installing 1.3.6-1 RPMs

Paul Smith wrote:
[me]
Is anyone out there using LyX on FC4?

I am using LyX on FC4 with no problem. The way I installed it was:

1. copied my own .lyx directory into my home directory;

2. yum install lyx.

Excellent! Never used yum before, so here goes. I wonder will it work
over the top of the mess that the RPMs left behind them...

But what is the .lyx directory you mentioned? Something that pre-existed from an earlier installation? Or something you downloaded?

///Peter

Hello Peter,

I just finished installing LyX 1.3.6 on FC4. I used these files.

latex-xft-fonts-0.1-2.1.fc3.rf.noarch.rpm
libaiksaurus-1.2_0-1.2.1-2mdk.i586.rpm
lyx-1.3.6-1.li.noarch.rpm
lyx-qt-1.3.6-1.li.fc4.i586.rpm

As I mentioned earlier, this was a fresh install so no previous
lyx directory from a previous installation and I am not part of a network. I installed the base "lyx-1.3.6-1.li.noarch.rpm"
first and got an error message that it needed qt or xforms.

So I tried rpm -i on "lyx-qt-1.3.6-1.li.fc4.i586.rpm" next.
I got the error message that latex-xft-fonts was missing
and also libAiksaurus-1.2.so.0. So I downloaded the font package by searching "rpmfind latex-xft-fonts" on Google.
It turned out not to matter that the font package was for FC3.

Next I tried to install the libaiksuarus package mentioned above,
but it failed because it needed the libaiksuarus-data package.
The *nix packaging system often has multiple dependencies
and does not come all neatly bundled like Windows.
Since a person can often go back and forth downloading
one dependency at a time, then testing, and finding something
else is needed, I chose to use "yum install libaiksuarus" which
provides extra stuff, but is convenient if you have space. One
has to be connected to the internet for yum to work. Typing
yum install * works from the command line in an open terminal.

So now the libaiksuarus and the latex-xft-fonts packages were
installed so qt* installed nicely. So then LyX installed properly.

/usr
Stephen