On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Bo Peng wrote:

If we can keep a new user for a week, we will have him for good. After
lyx/latex becomes irreplaceable, he will join this list and learn some
latex and advanced lyx. The situation now is that most (windows) users are
scared away by the long installation process (2+ hours), not-out-of-box
configuration (have to set path to ps, acrobat reader manually), erroneous
error messages etc in a day.

Bo, et al.:

  I cannot address the mindset of the Microserf, but I can offer insight into
some perceived problems when folks move from a word processor to LyX/LaTeX. I
think they are worthy of being addressed to new users.

  One of the biggest hurdles for users to pass is the compulsion to tweak
minor appearance details. Let it go; typographic experts have created
defaults that work. When I read that someone wants to make a minor adjustment
(other than the more irrational requirments of academia or bureaucracies), I
suspect it's because such tweaking is necessary with word processors to get
an output that one reads without noticing the page itself. TeX does this for
us, all we need do is issue the appropriate LaTeX or LyX commands. How often
do any of us closely examine the printed page of a book or journal article?
The focus of us -- as writer -- and that of the reader should be on the
content, not the eye candy. The page should be invisible as we pay attention
to the exposition, argument, lack of contradiction, and cogency of the
arguments being made. All else is distraction.

  Perhaps the LyX web site needs to take a clue from the tip containers that
sprouted on the counters of coffee shops here about a dozen years ago. There
should be a large banner on the first page that reads, "If you fear change,
send it to us to support our development efforts."

  I could go on, but I won't. :-)

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"