> I think the reason is that the babel package has to be loaded before jurabib.
> Try \usepackage{babel} before \usepackage[bibformat=numbered]{jurabib}.

This worked, thanks.

I now have a few more questions:
1.  Is it possible to get a footnote reference any way other than inserting ERT
and writing "\footfullcite{REF}"?  (the Insert->Citation menu entry does not
produce a useful citation reference in the final document)
2.  When I did get it to work using the ERT method above, the footnote
reference was poorly formatted.  There was no punctuation between the author's
name and the title.  The reference was far better formatted in the actual
bibliography.  Is there any way to get the proper formatting in the footnote
reference?

Thanks,
Lachlan