Hello lyx-users,

I am trying to control the layout of graphics and a table in my document
using nested tables. I want to place two wide, short images next to a
narrow, tall table of values to give a (roughly) visually balanced block.
When I right-click on my table, I see controls for alignment but not for
spacing.

Here's what I actually get:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/actual.png

Here's roughly what I'd like to get:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/scipics/desired.png

The black-edged boxes with text in them are placeholders for the slightly
fancier images of identical size that will be going there.

You'll notice that in the actual picture, the contents of the table are
not centered on-page even though I've chosen horizontal alignment center.
It's too far to the left. Additionally, the two images on the right are
vertically squeezed to the center while I'd like them to separate as far
as possible while remaining within the borders of the outermost table.

Am I going about this all wrong? Am I going to have to whip out the ERT to
get what I want? I've tried looking through the only book I have handy
(LaTeX Line by Line) but I didn't seem anything to help me through this
problem. I can probably fake the desired vertical spacing by saving my
graphics with lots of whitespace around them in the image editor, but that
seems inelegant and I'd really like a LyX or LaTeX solution if there is
one.

Thank you all.

Matt Ernst
Washington State University Tri-Cities