[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

   Hello guys! How are you?

   Well, sorry to be bore, but the
'Layout->Document->Language', or
'Edit->Preferences->Language' or that sort of simple
things don't work to change the language of the auto
names inserted inside the dvi or pdf final outputs!

That's work fine for me - I usually
use Norwegian but Portuguese is fine too.

   I want to tell you: NEITHER LINUX NOR WINDOWS Lyx
docs are changed when I do that way to change the auto
names (names like 'Contents' 'Figure 1' 'October, 16
2005' -- to which I want to be 'Índice', 'Figura 1',
'16 de outubro de 2005' and so forth). Sorry, but
there are something wrong -- I think that some of
these OS must work on that way you said me!

   Please I want a simple thing:

- Type asdkhjdfkh in a new Lyx file and put this line line as 'title';

   - Change both 'Layout->Document->Language'
     and 'Edit->Preferences->Language' to
     portuguese (or whatever tongue you want);

   - Export it to pdf or view it as dvi or
     something like that;

   Then, what do you see? 'October, 16 2005' isn't
it? Well, I want to be written there '16 de outubro de
2005'.
I got
18 de Outubro de 2005
when I selected Portuguese language.

I don't know about windows, but for linux, make sure
you have all the necessary parts of latex.

It seems to me that somethings wrong with your latex,
perhaps the babel package is missing?  (It contains
translations for all supported languages.)

When I set the document language to Portuguese and
does file->export->latex in lyx, I get a newfile14.tex like this:
START OF FILE

%% LyX 1.4.0cvs created this file.  For more info, see http://www.lyx.org/.
%% Do not edit unless you really know what you are doing.
\documentclass[portuges]{scrartcl}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\setlength\parskip{\medskipamount}
\setlength\parindent{0pt}

\makeatletter
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% User specified LaTeX commands.
\usepackage{lmodern}

\usepackage{babel}
\makeatother
\begin{document}

\title{dsfg}\maketitle

\end{document}

END OF FILE

Never mind that I use lyx 1.4, older versions like 1.3 and 1.2 gets the
language stuff right too.
Notice that the language is set in the line specifying document class.
Do you get the [portuges] part too?

Then notice the "\usepackage{babel}" right before
\begin{document}. Do you get that too?
Try making a .dvi the manual way, bu running
latex filename.tex
You should get a filename.dvi, or error messages.

What language do you get in the .dvi, assuming your latex
file contained the correct language setup with babel?
If your .tex file had the language setup but the .dvi got wrong
anyway, examine filename.log.  That's where you find any
error messages.  You will also find the version of latex
used, the first lines of my logfile is:

This is e-TeX, Version 3.14159-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5) (format=latex 2005.9.12) 18 OC
T 2005 13:30
entering extended mode
**newfile14.tex
(./newfile14.tex
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, norsk, norsk, nohyphenation, loaded.

Of course your setup ought to have Portuguese hyphenation insted of
Norwegian.  Later in the logfile, I see:
START

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
Package: babel 2001/03/01 v3.7h The Babel package

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/portuges.ldf
Language: portuges 2001/02/16 v1.2o Portuguese support from the babel system

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.def
File: babel.def 2001/03/01 v3.7h Babel common definitions
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
)

Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
(babel)                the language `Portuguese'
(babel) I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] = a dialect from \language0
Package babel Info: Making " an active character on input line 126.
))
No file newfile14.aux.
\openout1 = `newfile14.aux'.

END
Several lines about activiating portuguese support.  (The missing
hyphenation means that I might get bad word division at line ends,
but I still get the portuguese words.)

Try this, and find out where it goes wrong.
Does lyx output a .tex file with the correct language settings?
If no, try to set the document language right.
lyx 1.4: Document->settings->language
lyx 1.3: layout->document->language

If lyx dows wrong and you're in a real hurry, try
copying the langauge stuff from my example
file into your .tex file.
When you have a correct .tex file, try running latex on it.
Do you get correct results?  If so, then your latex is fine and
the problem is with lyx.  If not, you have a latex problem.

Use a recent linux distribution, not something that is
several years old.  After changing latex, such as adding
packages, you have to "reconfigure" lyx.
lyx 1.3: edit->reconfigure
lyx 1.4: tools->reconfigure

Then exit lyx, restart lyx, and try to make a portuguese
document again.

Helge Hafting