Daniel Watkins wrote:
I'm looking to place a horizontal rule in a document I'm currently
working on. However, the standard horizontal rule is ugly (it just goes
from one side of the page to the other). How can I tell LyX to put in a
line that isn't as long (and what's a typographically good length to
have it?)?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

In ERT, centered in a paragraph: \rule[raise]{width}{thickness}

All three arguments are measurements. The mandatory arguments are the horizontal width of the line and the thickness. The optional argument is how much to raise it within its paragraph.

I don't know if there is a preferred width. I would say to use whatever appeals to you visually.

Paul