Paul A. Rubin wrote:
David Wolfson wrote:

As soon as I read this I realised that it was probably a path problem. Not knowing any better, I had installed the font to '/usr/local/share/texmf/' rather than '/usr/share/texmf/'. I removed that installation, rehashed, and carried out the instructions I mentioned earlier in the thread:
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tugindia/2001-August/000056.html

Another 'texhash' and and all is well; dvis and pdfs display find, from the comand line and lyx.

Paul - I hope this solves the problem for you too...

Thanks for solving the problem and educating in the ways of the texmf path,

Dave

Nope, it's still broken on my system. I'd done all the installation things (actually, MiKTeX did it all for me, except updating the .map file), everything was in the right place, and Metafont was finding the ifgeo10.mf file ok but choking on something in it (or in something it subsequently loaded). I tried downloading the ifsym package direct from CTAN, in case the MiKTeX version had a defective file in it, but no joy.

On the other hand, I don't really need the ifsym fonts, so no harm done. But I remain confused (my natural state).

Paul

Follow-up (mainly for the archives): the problem at my end was a MiKTeX-specific issue. Somewhere along the line, I did an update that loaded a newer version of the MiKTeX base. Turns out I needed to execute MiKTeX Options -> General -> Format files -> Update Now, after which font generation worked.