Stephen Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [...]

I guess they want to keep it installable from CD, like in 2004.
(i.e. not compressed, as protext-1.3).

I think the discussion will be more thorough when the dvd/cd collection
will be out. The TeXLive images are currently test images, and the official
TeXLive is still 2004.

>> The Protext instruction manual, I worry, may be daunting for newcomers.

I never read it, just done this (from the local LyX install instructions):
   6. Install MikTeX
          * Decompress the archive in (e.g.) C:\ProTeXt-1.2. Be patient...
          * Go to C:\ProTeXt-1.2\SETUP and install

--
Jean-Pierre