Am Dienstag, 8. November 2005 18:32 schrieb hagit lev:
> Hi
> I have lots of material - such as Surfer maps, Origin graphs etc. and I
> wondered if I can import them directly to Lyx or need to export them
> first to jpeg and only then import ?

You can import any figure material directly if you have a tool that can
convert it (from the command line) to a format that LyX knows of. You
then need to define this tool as a converter. The Wiki and Customization
guide tell you how this works.
If such a tool is not available you need to export the figures. I
recommend the following formats:
EPS or PDF for vector graphics (i. e. some graphs)
PNG for bitmap figures with a small number of colors (e. g. scanned
material)
JPEG for bitmals with a lot of colors (e. g. photos), but keep in mind
that the JPEG format is lossy

> Cause I tried to export surfer to EMF, but the result in the DVI file
> was a huge picture, and when I tried to minimize it (scaling it to only
> 20% in the figure dialog box) the quality was horrible.

In  theory EMF would work well for vector graphics. In practice the EMF ->
EPS converters available on Linux don't work well enough (because EMF and
WMF formats are no real file formats, but simply a recording of the
windows API calls that are needed to produce the figure on screen or on
printer). The situation might be better if you are on windows, I have
been told that better converters are available on that OS. You might get
good results with EMF if you specify such a tool as EMF -> EPS converter.

Georg