[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Georg Baum wrote:

You can redirect the standard error output to a file on unix systems:

lyx -dbg latex 2>err.log

I'm guessing this assumes bash or sh as the shell? IIRC, it's slightly different in tcsh.

csh variants use ">&" and ">&!" (the latter overrides the noclobber option) to redirect both stdout and stderr. In classic csh there is no way to redirect only stderr (though stdout can be redirected separately first); I don't remember if there is in tcsh.

That's one of the reasons why csh is not popular with Unix experts. See "Csh Programming Considered Harmful".

On windows it looks maybe different.

Actually it's the same, if you're running a current Windows version, using the stock cmd.exe shell, and have command extensions enabled. (I don't remember offhand if command extensions are required, but they're almost always desirable; there's little reason to ever disable them.)

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's possible to redirect stderr separately on windows.

Unlike csh, this *is* possible in current versions of Windows (at least XP and subsequent).

The XP-era cmd allows "2>" to redirect only stderr, and constructs like "2>&1" to redirect stderr to stdout. It's still a far cry from ksh, but it's improved to the point where it's usable for simple tasks, anyway.

--
Michael Wojcik