Stephen Harris wrote:

As I think Stephen said earlier, that would be indicative of a bad (or incomplete) LyX installation. The LyX tree under Applications Data is created during installation (I'm pretty sure). Saving a LyX document won't create it if it's not already there, and its absence may not affect the saving of the document. Since we're pretty sure (?) the LyX configuration script is balking at a perceived lack of a working LaTeX executable, I wouldn't worry about this until after the MiKTeX issues are sorted out.

I think John first installed LyX 1.3.5. Was that under a different
c:\document and settings\...  path structure than is used currently?
Maybe a Preferences file under \username\ .lyx that needed deletion.

I mean delete \.lyx?

Version 1.3.5 and earlier did not put anything under Documents and Settings (nor under Program Files for that matter), since they were allergic to spaces in paths. With 1.3.5, you designated a home directory, and a .lyx folder (with subfolders) was created thereunder, housing your preferences and customizations. Version 1.3.6 looks specifically in Docs and Settings\your name here\Application Data, so there should be no collisions. In fact, I've had 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 (and 1.3.7, for that matter) peacefully coexisting on a couple of machines. 1.3.6 has no idea the 1.3.5 preferences exist, and vice versa.

Paul