> Ummm, well, I thought it was worth asking.
> Maybe if you ran the conversion in a separate thread and if there's a
> currently converting process going on, kill that and start again. It
> might suck up a couple of cycles but the user may not notice it anyway.

You can do this by yourself easily by writing a shell script that runs
things like 'lyx --export pdf2', 'acroread xxx.pdf'. You can run this
script manually or let it repeat itself at certain interval (use for
loop and sleep).

As a matter of fact, I did exactly what you described recently when I
need to prepare a latex/beamer presentation. In this case, frequent
preview is a must (for the position of figures etc) but latex runs
slowly so previewing in lyx becomes a pain (lyx will freeze during
pdflatex-ing).

BTW, two questions:
1. Can view->dvi/pdf etc be put into background so lyx will not freeze
during latex-ing?
2. Can I define a keyboard shortcut to run whatever shell script I
specify? If this can be done, question 1 is no longer a problem.

Bo