> Now my «locale -a | grep de» gives following output:

>         de_DE
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>         de_DE.iso88591
>         de_DE.utf8

> Where are the dashes left?? But ok, so I enterd:

I'm  not  sure  about  the dashes, I don't have access to my Linux box
right  now.  There  can  be  some  inconsistency  about the dashes and
upper/lower case on various systems. Such as ru_RU.koi8-r, ru_RU.KOI8R
and the like. But, it may be absolutely normal.

The  only  way  to  be  100% sure about how this locale should look on
Gentoo is to ask a Gentoo user or google for it, I think.

>         LANG=de_DE.iso88591 lyx

> (and also I tried:)

>         LANG=de_DE.iso-8859-1 lyx

> but  I  still  have  my problem :-(. Can you tell me, where I made a
> mistake?
OK,  maybe  it's  not  JUST  a locale problem after all... But I still
think  you  should  start  lyx in a script or xterm with a VALID 8-bit
locale preceding it, rather than a Unicode one.

OK, so we need to input German. For now, I assume you're entering text
in LyX via XKB, like in all other apps? Let's do it the other way:

1.  open  Preferences,  go  to  Keyboard,  and set the first kmap to a
German one, and the second one to whatever. E.g. American. Then save
changes and  restart LyX.

2.  Create  a  new  doc,  set  its language to German, its encoding to
latin1, and try to enter some umlauts.

3.  Far-fetched,  but still: Can you possibly be using some half-assed
fonts  that  even  do  not  contain umlauts? I doubt it, but better be
sure.  Screen fonts are set via Preferences, while other fonts are set
via $ qtconfig.

Try all the above and see if it helps.

--
WBR,