----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: Prerelease of LyX 1.3.7_5 for Windows

Stephen Harris wrote:

I notice that Paul Rubin has already made developers aware of this issue. My issue is the same as his, and his report of sh.exe being invoked several times is perhaps confirmed by my Path prefix which has several instances of C:\msy1.0\bin
(and a few others) whereas it used to appear only once.

Actually, I think they are unrelated. The MinSys bin directory only appears once on my path. As for seeing multiple instances of sh running during configuration, that appears to be normal behavior. There is one parent instance of sh (running the configure script), and it spawns subordinate instances of sh when certain commands are executed.

Paul

By the "same issue as his" I meant this part of your post,

Paul: "The not as good news is that the same installation problem I experienced in pre4 is present in pre5. (Recap: the configuration script fails to execute during installation; the program launches ok at the end of installation, without running the configuration script;"
[SH: "failed attempting to execute the configure script"]

coupled with the Angus reply: "I think that's correct, but there's an implicit assumption there that LyX's initial inability to run LaTeX ("initial" meaning when the installer starts LyX), and possibly Brian Linfoot's initial problems with instant preview, are the result of the configuration script not running." [not specific to dragndrop] SH: I expressed this as, "The installation fails, saying it can't run the configure script. There is no checking of + items located on the dos screen, that doesn't happen.

The reason why I wrote "perhaps confirmed by my Path prefix"
is that you also wrote: "the first subsequent launch runs the configuration script successfully but silently.)
I tried that, to launch LyX again. But this produced the same
error as the first launch about no textclass.lst being found,
["Lyx wasn't able to find its layout descriptions"]
sorry Lyx has to close. You didn't include that in your report so
maybe that is another difference. I have gotten the error message
about the configuration script failing in both pre4 and pre5. I can
use either dos or Msys to fix it, sh.exe configure, but either way,
it produces a cyclic output in one long line in Prefix path

Msys
Msys, python
Msys, python, texmf,
Msys, python, texmf, perl
msys, python, texmf, perl, ghostscript
and finally: msys, python, texmf, perl, ghostscript, ImageMagick

so that to fix it, I delete everything backwards of the last sequence.
I was thinking that each time a partial path was written, that a child
sh.exe might have been creating it, but you understand this stuff
better than I do so you are no doubt right; maybe this is a symptom
produced by the configure code.

In Lyx1.3.7pre2 I could install to C:\program files\LyX but not
C:\Lyx; this used to work with 1.3.6 stable, using either path.

So I think the configure file has changed between versions and
if the configure file implements cases of a path with spaces the
fundamental problem might be there. I'll compare the configuration
files for 1.3.6 and 1.3.7. As you may have also read sometimes
the presence of absence of a "/" at the end of a path is critical.
On a hunch, I tried changing both sh.exe and sed.exe to Win95
compatibility mode without any luck.

Annozilla,
Stephen