Paul,
I found out why your first suggestion didn't work on
my computer even after I corrected the typo
"maths.bind" in the sciword.bind file. I don't know
whether this works on Linux systems or not. However,
in the math.bind file I had the following:

\bind "M-m ~C-~M-~S-braceleft"  "math-delim { }"

That's a problem at least if your keyboard is a cheap
standard one like mine (In fact, I don't even have an
AltGr key, instead I use Ctrl+Alt when needed). It is
like turning on caps lock, and then pressing Shift+A
to obtain 'A' :). After I change it to the following:

\bind "M-m ~C-~M-~S-bracketleft"        "math-delim { }"

everything works alright.

The reason I try to avoid the math panel is that I
like not to use mouse when I type as my documents
consists mainly of mathematics, and math panel serves
best if I use it only when I absolutely need it.

Do you have any idea what those ~'s stand for though?

Thank you!

Nusret