----- Original Message ----- From: "Enrico Forestieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: There's Something About Textclass.lst [WinXP, installing into]

Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Formally, that's the PATH environment variable. To be honest, I don't think that I check the contents of this variable when generating the contents of
\path_prefix. Clearly I should have

Angus, you did a wonderful job. I saw people which started using lyx on
windows only because now it was easily installable.

However, I always wondered why in your installer you did not simply check
for the existence of a command in the path before asking to install a
package, instead of always relying on the registry.

I suppose this is a limitation of that NSIS thing...

--
Enrico

I think finding the executable on the hard drive, like the Miktex install
does with latex.exe, would confirm reports from the registry or PATH
that the programs referred to, still actually exist. Maybe the configure
file could be checked so that it doesn't contain more than 200 characters,
which is probably less than the length of PATH. Trying to figure out
what programs do, for example using Xnview rather than ImageMagick
as an image converter for LyX, and distinguishing them for inclusion
in \path_prefix strains the bounds of a meaningful relationship. The
PATH and the registry are both unreliable as sources of information.
Neither get deleted reliably when programs are uninstalled by users,
so both can falsely report the existence of vanished programs/paths.

Regards,
Stephen