mail.k wrote:
Thanks, Paul.

I do have lots of quotes and I'd like to use a consistent style throughout.
I've come across the  setspace.sty package, and also this:

\makeatletter

\renewenvironment{quote}
              {\begin{spacing}{1}\list{}{\rightmargin\leftmargin}%
              \item\relax}
              {\endlist\end{spacing}\noindent\hspace{-0.333em}}
\makeatother

but being a newbie, I don't understand which one should be used in what circumstances. To clarify, I need all the text to be 1.5 spaced, except for the quotes (and footnotes), which should be single spaced (and with a smaller font).

Thanks for the help.

Eran

The setspace package allows for line spacing to be changed within a document. LyX will automatically include it in the document if you change the global line spacing from its default (presumably single spaced) to anything else (in particular, 1.5 spacing).

To do what you want, you just have to paste the suggest LaTeX code into Layout->Document->Preamble. Actually, the \makeatletter and \makeatother commands are not necessary, although they are harmless. Note that this code will change the spacing of the quote environment but not the quotation environment. If you use the quotation environment, simply change 'quote' to 'quotation' in the code. If you use both, paste two copies of the code into the preamble and change one of them to 'quotation'.

Incidentally, if this is a phenomenon you are likely to repeat in other documents, you could either create a new layout file that embeds this or (probably easier) save an empty document with these changes as a template.

/Paul