On Jan 7, 2006, at 5:37 AM, Anders Ekberg wrote:

Looking at how some other applications have solved this:

- Microsoft puts the Microsoft Word.app and a Templates-folder as separate entities in the directory in /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/ The same approach is used by AppleWorks.

- Apple's Pages put its templates in /Applications/iWork/Pages.app/ Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Templates/ (below they have two folders named ISO and Traditional with sub-folders for the templates).

In all of these cases, templates are selected through a pop-up menu and not a New... or Open... dialogue.

Notice that LyX's "New from Template ..." feature is most similar to Word's "Open a copy" feature (from within the Open dialog): any file can be a "template", not just specially formatted/saved documents. For this reason, I think it makes sense to access them from a dialog similar to the open dialog, though perhaps the differences between the "Open ..." and "Open from Template ..." dialogs should be clearer in the dialogs themselves.

(In all of the cases, you store your created templates using a standard save dialogue. There may be a dedicated folder for personal templates (either in ~/Library/Application Support/ Program_Directory [used by Pages] or in /Applications/ Program_Directory/Templates/ [used by MS Office] (where the Save... dialogue is initially directed and I assume the program looks for user-defined templates), but you are basically free to choose whichever location you like for the templates.)

If a pop-up menu is difficult to implement, the MS Office version is probably easiest to adopt (though the risk is that since the templates are easily accessible they may be tinkered with, cf Bennett's remark above)

Perhaps the best way to solve the problem is by AbiWords approach, which is similar to what Pages uses (templates stored in the Application bundle and user-defined templates in the ~/ LibraryApplication Support/Program_Directory). The difference is that they use a "list dialogue" instead of a pop-up menu (i.e. you select your template from a list of available templates and click OK). Since AbiWord is OpenSource I guess it would be possible to study the code or ask the developers how this was implemented.

But note that this would not allow me to open just any file as a "template".

It could be noted that with the current version it is possible to access the templates using the Apple+Shift+G short-cut and type in the path to the templates. However this is of-course not a user- friendly solution...

Agreed.

The next problem with the templates is that once you manage to open them you get (for some) a "missing TeX-class" error and have to go through the procedure outlined in http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/ FAQ/MacInstall It would make the application much more user- friendly if the needed .cls-files are copied directly at installation if this is possible.

That would be easy to do in the installer script, though the risk would be that users have made modifications to the .cls files and the installer would overwrite them. Perhaps I'll find time to update the installer to provide a bit more user interaction when such issues crop up. Failing that, I could install the files if they're absent and otherwise not.

Bennett