----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 4:58 PM
Subject: blank images in preview (Lyx 1.3.7, MacOSX 10.4.4)

The problem is that although I can see the included images
in the LyX screen, I cannot see the images when I select
View --> PDF (pdflatex). I can't even get Preview to show
anything if I pick the other two options (dvidpdm and 'ps to pdf').
With pdflatex, the PDF comes up, the text is there, but the images
are not. The space they should occupy is just blank.
I get the same behaviour with TeXshop after I convert my LyX to
laTeX, so I'm guessing I have something misconfigured somewhere,
but WHAT???

I use Windows but you should have a similar file, sample.tex, which
is located in ~/texmf/doc/dvipdfm. I use this file to test images since
it has .eps and .jpg file formats. pdflatex and dvipdfm don't always
display the same behavior. For example, dvipdfm will convert the
sample.lyx file into viewable .pdf, but pdflatex (6 errors) will not.

1.3.4 is fairly old and maybe some older version of a file was
used in your tetex version-- has tetex been upgraded? If so, a
file version for rendering your .lyx files may have been changed.

Anyway, I'll present what I think is the simples to fix idea. The
viewer may have changed, if you have made changes to your
system. Edit->Preferences->File formats

My best guess for an immediate solution, is to download
Acrobat Reader 7.0 and make it the default viewer (acrord~) for
the three .pdf file formats. Earlier version Readers caused some
Linux problems, so this is the best, quick idea I can think of.

Different topics which may have some relevance.
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg78867.html
"I suspect that this may have something to do with "file paths with spaces".

2. DirtyDVI & DVI and PDF (pdflatex) and intext eps figures display
correctly with yap and Acrord32 but PDF reports "Cannot convert file"
"Error while executing "

"dvips -t a4 -o "file.ps" "tmpfile.out"  "
PDF (dvipdfm)  " Cannot convert file" "Error while executing "

"dvipdfm -p a4 "tmpfile.out" "
Postscript " Cannot convert file" "Error while executing"
"dvips -t a4 -o "file.ps" "tmpfile.out"  "
all these work on the same Lyx file under Lyxwin 135."

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg83472.html
"In teTeX 1.0 you obtain the same error but with <1.4> replaced by <1.2>.
This means that when you include an eps file in LyX and do View->PDF (pdflatex) it succeeds with teTeX 2.0 but fails with teTeX 1.0 if ps2pdf13
is used."

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~van/GI2005/giformat.htm
"If you are generating DVI (i.e. you are using the [dvips] option) then
latex will search for EPS files rather than PNG, JPEG and PDF files for
images. Even in this case it is best to leave off the suffix when you
include images, so you don't have to change your source other than the
option on the \usepackage{graphics} line in the preamble."

Regards,
Stephen