John Pye wrote:

Hellmut Weber wrote:

For business reasons I'm obliged to produce some documents in
Word-Format. The copy/paste-comfort offered by Windows is to be
considered THE reference for any system which wants to compete.

I think that the 'rich' copy/paste technology clearly exists on Linux,
but it seems that only a few applications are using it effectively: it
works fine for 'rich' text from open office to thunderbird, and from
firefox to thunderbird. It works for copying rich text with graphics and
tables from firefox to openoffice. It works for copying bitmap
selections from Kolour Paint to Open Office. It doesn't for the GIMP,
and it doesn't work for DIA. It appears not to work from Inkscape to
OpenOffice. I haven't tried AbiWord either.

I found that there is a reference to cut/paste in freedesktop.org, which
ties together KDE and GNOME common functionality:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/ClipboardManager

That in turn refers to
http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-2.html#s-2.6.3

So it seems that it's a case of getting Lyx to be a bit aware of how
this is done and hopefully reproduce some of that functionality. I'm
sure it's not simple, but maybe it's something that could get put on the
list if enough people would use it.
Good copy/paste between lyx instances as well as lyx and
others is a wish of many, including developers. The problem is
more to find a volunteer to do it. There is so much to do,
so people tend to pick their favourite feature to implement.

Helge Hafting