Dear Bennett,

I hope the following may be helpful help but I suspect not as clear as you would like.

OK ... but what precisely is the bug? What goes wrong with the conversion from the old preferences file to the new? When I try it here, the conversion from 1.3.5 to 1.3.7 goes smoothly, so if there is a problem with the installer script I need more information.

I do not recall installing 1.3.5 so I think this is a fresh install, I can only assume the 1.3.7 creates the ~/.lyx directory

You'll have to be a bit more specific as there are at least 3 files called "preferences" these are:
~/.lyx/preferences
~/Library/Application Support/Lyx/preferences
/Applications/Lyx.App/Contents/Resources/lyx/preferences

Could you send me the following:

(a) your 1.3.5 preferences file,
(b) the 1.3.7 preferences file that the lyx installer produces, and

I deleted the following:
~/.lyx/preferences
~/Library/Application Support/Lyx/preferences

I have no way of knowing which is now in my "trash" folder

(c) the 1.3.7 preferences file that works?

The only file that remains is: /Applications/Lyx.App/Contents/ Resources/lyx/preferences attached below for your reference.

I hope this helps,
Ian

Bennett