Stephen Harris wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sara Stymne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: Screen Captures in Documents

Hi!

I have no solution, but a related problem...

In LyX I canot use insert->graphics from the menu. I think this is because LyX uses the graphics package and that it somehow conflicts with the gb4e package that I also use. When I remove gb4e graphic-insertion seems to work, but not the gb4e-stuff of course. I found a workaround to this, using graphicxs and include pictures with ERT. It works, but LyX does not seem to be capable to convert png to eps, when not using pdflatex, which I believe it does when inserting throw the menu. And I prefer not to use pdflatex, because it seems to make the quality of my xypic-figures quite bad.

So then I have to manually convert png to eps for my screenshot. I tried to convert both with the Gimp and with the imagemagick convert tool, but both ways the quality of the eps-images are quite bad.

So, any ideas? Either how to produce nice xypic with pdflatex, or nice eps screenshots from png..

/Sara

Perhaps you are experienced with xypic, but if not, here is a 10 page
tutorial: http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~gumm/LyX/xypic/xypic.pdf

When I converted xypic.lyx with pdflatex I got the same image as above^.
This looks clear to me, but perhaps I don't have high standards. :-)
I attach xypic.lyx for comparison purposes, and a perhaps relevant portion:

\begin_inset Graphics
filename xyfigure.PNG
scale 62
clip

\end_inset

SH: I also converted xypic.tex to html with htlatex which generates png images
http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/%7Egumm/LyX/Using_XYpic_in_LyX.htm

I think the pngs look ok but parts of the conversion require editing.
The LyX developers removed support for XYpic from LyX1.4.0
I was thinking Prof. Gumm might be more attuned to this problem area.

Regards,
Stephen

I wasn't actually using xypic, but xyling which is a linguistic tree package built on xypic, and thus I could not use it in LyX directly, so I constructed the pictures in ERT. Should probably have mentioned that in the first mail, but I didn't think about it...

The pictures looks mostly fine, but the diagonal lines are not straight, neither when viewed with a pdf-viewer, or printed. They are actually not straight when not using pdflatex either, but they are much better.

On another topic, I think that LyX is great, and I started using it so that I would not have to learn too much latex, which I did not know at that stage. But in the end I found it easier to do it the latex way than the LyX way in very many cases.....

/Sara