----- Original Message ----- From: "John Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Georg Baum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:42 AM
Subject: Re: Convert framemaker to docbook-lyx -- safest path?

Hi Georg,

Georg Baum wrote:

John Pye wrote:

Can anyone offer any comments on what would be the 'safest path' for
converting Framemaker files into Docbook Lyx files?

I thought you might have a chance with Infty
http://www.inftyproject.org/en/demo.html#0002

"3. Online Recognition Test of InftyReader Ver.2.4.3d
You can test the recognition of YOUR math documents by InftyReader, ONLINE,. Click HERE"

SH: You can use Omnipage Pro(or other?) to convert your docs
to png or tiff. Infty claims that it can convert those formats at
400 or 600 dpi to several formats including tex. I tested the Online
conversion with English selected and it used Japanese anyway. I download Infty and it output tex but only a soso (English) conversion.

One can also save pdf as ps. I've seen ps2html and html2latex
scripts but they appear to have been abandoned, hard to find. I think your best chance is an OCR/image conversion to latex.
http://www.susqu.edu/brakke/PlateauBook/PlateauBook.html

I've had some success using Acrobat's Snapshot tool which
can copy a table and be saved ->->as an image file. Perhaps that could be inserted as a LyX graphic, if that helps at all.
Regards,
Stephen

OCR breaks even at 94% accuracy (or rekey),
Stephen