----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles de Miramon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:22 AM
Subject: Re: lyx compatibility to MsWord etc

Stephen Harris wrote:

Currently I think tex4ht will convert latex to html. Then the
html can be imported by Word. This doesn't work great.

Wrong. Tex4ht converts well to Oowriter. I've done it for a 54 pages article with footnotes, a jurabib bibliography, tables and some custom macros. With
some massaging, it worked very well. TeX4ht has some bugs but the
maintainer is very active and responsive.

Cheers,
Charles
--
http://www.kde-france.org

http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~gumm/

Using XY-pic in LyX (Documentation) html or pdf

LyX converted the original file to .pdf and the
conversion is nearly perfect, which earns the word "great".
No editing of the source doc is needed to fix the output.

Compare this to the quality of conversion of tex4ht using
htlatex which made the same file in html format. 15 to 25
errors is good but not great in my book. The html flaws
don't get magically corrected when importing html into
.doc format. Yes, the maintainer quickly sent a fix for one
error (XY-pic) which was repeated a few times. Because
latex2html was worse (fi ligatures) doesn't make htlatex great.

My standards dictate that using comment enabled pdf will
create a lot less work than proofreading and editing sections
of a thesis converted from LyX->Latex->tex4ht->Word.
Since that was the context, comment-enabled pdf is a
great method and tex4ht good, or even very good. Perhaps
your example doesn't include logo words with space problems.

By "massaging" don't you mean proofreading and editing. Also
I once posted that Fabrice Popineau stated that tex4ht was the
best method (better than png) available for conversion from
Latex to Word. It is, but that still falls short of "great" when
compared to LyX->pdf conversion. This topic has lots of
press and there is already a consensus expert opinion which
uses a larger sample and fails to support: 'wrong, it is too great'.

Macro regards,
Stephen