On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 07:53, Ernesto Posse wrote:
> Hi. I have a problem with figure alignment and placement next to text.
>
>   Basically I need to place some figure right next to some short text,
> where the text is aligned either at the center of the figure or at the
> top, as in:
>

> Some text         +--------->+
>                   |          |
>                   |          |
>                   |          |
>                   +--------->+
>
>   I have tried many things, such as putting the text and figure inside a
> table, and setting the alignments for each cell, or putting them in
> minipages and setting the alignment too. However nothing seems to work,
> and the text is always aligned with the bottom of the figure.
> Furthermore, the Alignment parameters do not seem to do what their name
> suggests. If, for instance, I put the text in a minipage with "Top"
> alignment and the figure in a minipage with "Bottom" alignment, I get
> the text a little bit below the figure!
>
>   How can I achieve such placement?
We had a flurry of email about this a few weeks ago.

The basic principal is that each TeX character has a baseline. This
baseline is the reference point for the character. In general it is the
bottom of the character except for letters like g where the tail is
called a descender and goes below the baseline.

When you top align minipages, it the baselines of the topmost content
which are aligned.

The answer is to place equal invisible elements (like protected spaces
or nulls) at the top of each minipage.

John O'Gorman