Nick Kuzmik wrote:
I'm trying to write some fiction involving some gutteral dialogue, specifically, chopping the "g" off the end of present-tense verbs. As I understand it, the correct way to be grammaticaly incorrect is to remove the "g" and add an appostrophe, however spellcheck pitches a major hissy when I do this. Not only is the word misspelled, but I can't add the word, becaue this violates some rule. On top of that, I can't even do an Ignore All, because that returns the same error. Any suggestions?
Nick Kuzmik
(845) 406-5115
AIM NKUZMIK

Yahoo! Mail

Here's a possible (if somewhat clunky) work-around:

1. Put the words in ERT; they won't be checked (at least in version 1.3.x). Since they're not checked, you're responsible for making sure they are correctly spelled.

2. For frequently used words, you could put them in macros in the preamble, for instance \newcommand{\Grokkin}{grokkin'}. Then just put \Grokkin in ERT anywhere you want it. (This has the modest advantage that you only have to check the word once, in the preamble definition.)

If you use option #1, you can put a regular space either inside or after the ERT (unless it is followed by a punctuation mark, of course). With option 2, since you don't know at preamble definition time whether the word will need a space or not, do not include the space in the command definition, and if one is needed make it a hard space (M-space) -- a regular space will be "absorbed" as the termination of the macro.

HTH,
/Paul