Jon Riding wrote:

First of all I should like to add my thanks to the LyX developers for such a useful program. I'm still on 1.3 but I'm guessing the problem below applies to 1.4.0 as well:

I have a related problem with UTF-8 characters which judging from this discussion may not be achievable in LyX. I need to include text in my documents taken from data in Bantu and Nilotic group languages. Some of these include accented vowels and other characters that are not present in the European character sets (yes, the world really is bigger that N America and Europe).

It sure is. And it is the responsibility of people who want support for their
favourite writing system to help add it. :-)

My data is all in UTF-8 and I'm guessing that LyX simply won't handle this unless I convert it all to ASCII and bodge the missing characters into a font below 255. I would then need to find a way of getting LyX to use this font at the appropriate points in the document.

Have I understood this correctly? Is there (please!) some easier way?

If LyX really can't handle Unicode data does anyone know if their are plans to fix this?

Yes, there is a plan. Unicode support is planned for lyx 1.5. Development of lyx 1.5 started at the same time lyx 1.4.0 was released.

Until this is done, you have to use one of the encodings lyx support.
Note that there are quite a few accented vowels in the various latin
encodings. Take a look at the user guide, section 6.8.3 "Character Tables".
There you see everything lyx 1.3 and 1.4 can display today.

Switching to a special font can be done with ERT commands.  That
will be cumbersome. If you have lots of this, consider making a small program
that converts from UTF-8 to whatever commands you need.

Helge Hafting