----- Original Message ----- From: "Enrico Forestieri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: No VIEW->DVI in LyX Win32 Works!

Stephen Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Never mind about the batfiles. I just saw what python.bat does
and I'm sure the other batfiles do something useful also which
I'll discover with some use. I have them in a good spot.

Let me briefly comment on why I needed them, one by one.

latex.bat: I needed this because /bin/latex was a symlink to /bin/pdftex
and a native LyX would not recognize it as a command. Note that the
problem with symlinks is rather subtle, because they would be recognized
as a command when you reconfigure LyX (as the reconfigure script is run
by sh.exe which is a cygwin app), but trying executing them through a
native app (LyX in this case) does not work, as they are not recognized.

I discovered something like this by chance. I was trying to get the
Viewers to be recognized. So I Reconfigured. Before closing I
checked the Viewers and they were all right as rain. But when Lyx
was closed and then opened, those buggers had slunk back into a
state of sin.

Now, if you delete the symlinks and copy in their place the programs
the symlinks were pointing to, you don't need anymore the .bat files.

You still need the xdvi.bat because /bin/xdvi is a shell script.

SH: That script is so compact.

Enrico

EF: ...would be seen as a perverted attitude to insist on it.
I am sorry that, english not being my mother language [SH: tongue],
I am not really able to convey what I mean...

SH: Oh, you are quite fluent. And I am displaying a perverse (cranky/peevish) attitude in observing that a tailor who alters garments is not a poetic wordsmith.

"The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew,
the furrow followed free.  We were the
first that ever burst onto that silent sea."
- Samuel Taylor Cooleridge, The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

Idiomatically yours,
Stephen