Lee Yeoh wrote:

 > <sigh> indeed... For some reason, my copy didn't come with the manual
for floatflt, but I managed to track one down... The problem I described *is* a known bug, and the work around *is* to use ERT:

\fltitem{text }

instead of

\item text

I suppose I can fix this up as some kind of default or something using a macro (which I know nothing about yet), but otherwise it's going to be a real pain to have to type this ERT in every time and forgo any of the GUI capabilities of LyX within these items!

Any quick and easy suggestions that will allow me to keep the rest of LyX happening?

I think we can rule out both "quick" and "easy".  :-(

I'm shooting from the hip here -- haven't tried this, don't plan to -- but it might be possible to create a new environment type to replace the itemize environment, using \fltitem in place of \item. You might define the environment so that it temporarily redefines the \item command to \fltitem and then invokes \begin{itemize} at the outset, and invokes \end{itemize} followed by reverting \item to its original definition at the end. (I'm fuzzy on how exactly to do this in LaTeX, but perhaps a LaTeX guru could help.)

Assuming you can get the LaTeX code to work, the next step would be to hack the stdlists.inc file in the LyX layouts directory. Clone the itemize environment, rename the clone appropriately, change its LatexName to match your new command, and stuff your LaTeX code in the preamble section. With any kind of luck, that puts your new environment on the environment list in most if not all document classes, and you invoke it in lieu of itemize when you're in the mood to use floatflt nearby. (You might also have to clone the enumerate environment similarly.)

/Paul