Stacia Hartleben wrote:
I know I asked a question like this before and I know it's a touchy
subject because people go Oh lyx isn't a word processor etc but I keep
running into this problem, and I know there must be some kind of
solution because it's relatively simple. I want to format something
like this:

S = blah blah blah
      1. blah blah blah
              1. more stuff
              2. yet more stuff
       2. ending up
       3. the end!

I don't necessarily want to put it within the enumerate environment
because I need control over what I'm doing (when I tried that the line
with S got enumerated anyway). I tried putting it in the description
environment but that only seems to let me indent one time and that's
it. Is there a way to indent stuff like this without using ERT?

Not that I know of (but I'm not an expert).

If
not, why isn't there?

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that inability to nest under the paragraph environment is a LaTeX limitation.

I'm also doing this in the description
environment which seems to be really picky, and I'm not sure if I'm
using it correctly. I heard something about putting in forced white
spaces but there should be another way to do it. If someone could
upload a test file that would be great.

Sorry, are you using description because the first line is actually a description, or just out of desperation to get the spacing you want?

If this is something you do a lot, you can define your own list environment with more spacing than the standard enumerate, and then hack a LyX layout file to recognize the new environment. See http://tug.org/TeXnik/mainFAQ.cgi?file=list/intro for some of the gory details. If this is just a one time, ad hoc adventure, the path of least resistance might be to build the document in LyX, without worrying about the indentation, export to LaTeX, and hack the LaTeX file. After each \begin{enumerate} or \begin{itemize} that you want to indent further (and before the first \item), insert \setlength{\itemindent}{5em} (or whatever indentation you want).

/Paul