From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul A. Rubin
Sent: donderdag 13 april 2006 20:54
To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Re: Windows port: 1.3.7: document classes not available

<http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lyxwininstall>
> (download the stable installer version 1.1)"
>
> The problem:
> All document classes are prefixed with "Unavailable:". So, as I
> understand it, no output will be created.
>
> The question:
> How do I fix this? Where can I get the classes from?

They're part of your LaTeX installation (which I assume is MiKTeX).

The first question is whether MiKTeX installed properly.  So

1.  Open a DOS command window and type 'path' at the prompt.  See if the

MiKTeX bin directory is on the path.  If not, you'll want to add it
there.  On Windows XP, you can click Start, right click My Computer,
click Properties, select the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables,
select PATH (in the upper window if you want to make MiKTeX accessible
just to you, in the lower window if you want all users to have it),
click Edit, and add the path to the MiKTeX bin directory to the string
(separated from its neighbors by semicolons).

2.  If the MiKTeX bin directory is on the path, type 'kpsewhich
article.cls' at the command prompt.  It should spit up a fully qualified

path to the article class file.  If not, MiKTeX is not properly
installed.

3.  If the previous step works, start LyX, run Edit->Reconfigure, close
LyX when it is done, restart LyX, and see if you get the basic document
classes.

/Paul