Mukhtar Ullah wrote:
I have installed the newly released lyx-1.4.1_win32_setup_v1.exe on windows
xp-sp2 with all the required programs already installed. It can't detect all the
latex components and packages. For example, in the document classes, I can't see
the classes beamer, powerdot,.. when I know that they are installed.
Surprisingly the test-version lyx-1.4.1_win32_setup_v1.exe works fine and
detects the full latex setup.

Looking forward for a reply,

Mukhtar

In order to use a document class, LyX must have a layout file for it. (The layout file basically dictates what displays in the GUI for that class.) LyX ships with layouts for many, but not all, document classes. Beamer and Powerdot are among those not included. My guess is that your test installation used a version of Uwe Stoehr's omnibus installer (installs pretty much anything that can't outrun it), and Uwe probably included a beamer.layout file and maybe a powerdot.layout file.

Anyway, the solution is to get the appropriate layout files from someone and add them to the layouts subdirectory of the LyX installation. The Beamer distribution contains a layout file, and apparently so does the Powerdot distribution. See the LyX wiki layouts page (http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/Layouts) for details.

There's been some traffic about modifications to the beamer layout, so I don't know where the most recent version can be found. <hint>Perhaps someone on the list can upload them to the wiki.</hint>

/Paul