Alex wrote:

Dear List,

I am invited to show lyx in my country in one of a local TV
(called fixtv http://www.fixtv.hu) . They have a regular
programme for linux. The programme will last for 30 minits.

I am going to create a slideshow for the performance.

I think you should ask that on lyx-users. There are several people who
did that, although not on TV :)

JMarc

Can somebody propose what to show them?
I know several functions, but it is very hard for me to choose.
(I will present 1.4.1-qt)

I would like to sketch the whole lyx to the viewers, but I know I have
to tell them also how lyx do the thinks above LaTeX.

Any comments, ideas, would be appreciated.

Alex
Some ideas:
Tell about LyX strengths:
* Excellent typesetting thanks to latex. Good results without having
 to tweak stuff.  Printed books have been written in lyx.
* The best formula editor there is, but don't make it look like
  lyx is mostly for math people.
* Good cross-referencing, even between different files. And LyX
  never ever get errors in the table of contents, like some
  lesser word processors do. . .
* LyX is also snappy to work with, and doesn't crash.
  It is so snappy because it doesn't try to make the screen look
  exactly like final output.  That is on purpose.  In particular, the
  line breaking in not like the final output (print/pdf) and that
  means the final output gets to use line breaking & hyphenation
  too advanced to do in real-time while editing.  Users can do the
  occational view->pdf which is _exact_ stuff.
* While LyX works for the beginner, it doesn't lock out the expert either.
  Experts can use latex commands to do just about any typographic
  speciality or trick there is.

A demo is always nice if you can arrange it.  Rehearse it well.
Don't cram too much into a small slot of time though, if you want
to show something very fancy, show printed output that
you prepared in advance.

For extra bonus, write your slideshow in lyx (perhaps the beamer class).
You can then tell the audience that, at the end of the presentation. Or
perhaps you'll use the presentation file in the live demo.

Helge Hafting