You may find this response from Jean Marc of assistance.

Check the archive for more detail.

"Section* layouts do not appear in the table of contents, and LaTeX
does not offer a way of specifying an optional caption in these cases.
Therefore there is not much we can do about it.

Bruce> My problem is typesetting an old-fashioned book where, for the
Bruce> their pains, the authors- translators have chosen to head each
Bruce> separate article along the lines of "Article XXIV - The old
Bruce> system of wars of position and the modern system of marches"
Bruce> and the Roman numerals run sequentially (regardless of chapter)
Bruce> through the book.

You can use normal Section and redefine at LaTeX level how sections
appear. Something like this in the preamble
  \usepackage{remreset}
  \renewcommand{\thesection}{Article \Roman{section}}
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
will do what you want with normal Section layout, although it will not
show on screen (in 1.4.0 it will be possible to see the right thing on
screen if you make a (short) layout file)."

Certainly solved my problem.

--
Bruce Ernest Weller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>