Rich Shepard wrote:
On Sat, 6 May 2006, John B. Egger wrote:

I downloaded 1.4.1 and extracted the tar.gz but the rest of the install
process looks a bit complicated.

John,

  The process is a simple, five-step one:

  1.) tar xzvf <filename-a.b.c.tar.gz>

  2.) cd filename-a.b.c

3.) ./configure (You can check options and the default install directory by
running './configure --help | less' first.)

  4.) make

  5.) make install (as root). If you use Slackware, Debian, or Red Hat, you
can replace this step with 'checkinstall' (might need to find and build it
first). That will let you build a package for these distributions.

  You can preceed each of the above commands with 'time ' and it will tell
you how much time it took for the command to complete.

Happy building,

Rich

Rich, I'm using Xandros 3.0 and have become spoiled by Xandros Networks, where applications are offered that the company has already checked for dependencies (and included them when necessary and safe).

I read the instructions in the INSTALL file, and after running ./configure corrected for one error message by installing a KDE Development package from Xandros Networks (for gcc, etc.). But I'm still hung up on the frontend. I've been trying to use Qt, running "./configure --with-qt3-dir=/usr/share/qt3" and other variants of that (I have a Qt under /usr/share/themes; I tried that but don't think it's what I need), but continue to get these last two lines of my console output:

checking what frontend should be used for the GUI... none
configure: error: "Please select a frontend using --with-frontend"

--John
Registered Linux User #291592