That means you probably dont have Msys in your Windows PATH,
or you have Cygwin in your PATH, which has a different version
of sh.exe, before Msys. This advice is about if you have used
the installer where you download the needed helper programs.

OTOH, the LyXWinInstaller provides the Msys version of sh.exe
So if you used that version, temporarily remove Cygwin from
your path.

Suppose that you have Msys etc installed in C:\Msys\1.0\bin
and bin is where sh.exe is located. Then you should try
 [using the dos cmd prompt]

you would be in your ~lyx\resources\lyx directory which contains
the configure file, and type in "C:\Msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe configure" <enter> from you resources directory which contains configure

(but no quotes when you type it) from the lyx\resources\lyx directory.
For LyX 1.3.7, \lyx\resources\ contains the configure file for 1.4.1

For "me" this looks like:
C:>\Lyx\resources\lyx> C:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe configure <enter>

But you want to substitute your actual installation location,
maybe c:\program files\lyx\resources\lyx, in place of "my" location,
or in 1.4.1 ~\lyx\resources (A lyx sub-directory is no longer used.)

I will summarize: Temporarily take Cygwin out of the Windows PATH.
 From the directory which contains your configure file, type
the full path to the sh.exe file configure then <enter> for example

type from C:>\Lyx\resources C:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe configure <enter>
for LyX1.4.1

Use the directories and paths for your system, which will
likely not be exactly the same as mine. You want to avoid
using Cygwin unless you are doing a WinCygLyx installation.

I do not understand where thze msys directory should be.
sh.exe is in my case located in ...\lyx141\bin.
There no path entry to this directory. But I cannot start sh from that directory. There was only one entry made in the PATH EnvVar during installation pointing to miktex\bin I checked my complete system disc and there is only the sh.exe in the lyx141\bin directory. There I found a dll called msys-1.0.dll too.

What other directories should be added to the PATH EnvVar ?

--
Gerhard