>>Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:23:24 -0500
>>From: Andrew Harrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
>>Subject: can't find lyxrc.defaults
>>
>>Help request:
>>
>>I just installed Lyx apparently successfully using the LyxWinInstaller
>>on Win XP.
>>
>>However, running
>>lyx -dbg any
>>
>>I get several comments, and a popup termination window about lyxrc.defaults:
>>
>>Could not find  Qt translations for locale en_US
>>LoaderQueue:  priority set to 10 images at a time, 100 milliseconds
>>between calls
>>Initializing LyX::init...
>>About to read lyxrc.defaults...
>>Warning: Could not read configuration file
>>Please check your installation.
>>

>>This directory is empty:
>>C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Harrington\Application Data\LyX1.4.x

I had different kind of problems on different machines (all with proTeXt-1.3
installed):
 - on one XP machine, installation went flawless,
 - on another one, it took 5 minutes to find pgf, and the information line did
not
 say "yes" or "no". However the next configure went OK (I mean, found pgf
quickly allright),
 - on a 2000 machine, i got exactly your behaviour, I got the message about
lyxrc.default
 ai installation time, and no lyx configuration was run (and thus no user dir
was created).

Is seems that configure fails so early that lyxrc.defaults is not created,
which stops configuration.

As 1.3.7 installed fine, I use the following workaround:
 - copy 1.3.7 lyxrc.default to 1.4.1 system tree (in C:\Program
Files\LyX141\Resources)
 - run sh configure from there in a Msys window.

I guess Uwe will investigate, anyway it seems that the lyxrc.default file
disappears
completely in 1.4.2.

HTH

--