Adinda,

I don't know if you specified, but you probably need a "686" version
rather than a 586.

However, why not simply download the source and compile it yourself?
It is no more than a minor issue to do so. On the old machine I am
using just now, it did take some time to do, but the result was an
installation perfectly matched to the machine.

The source distribution has a file called INSTALL (remember that case
matters in UNIX/Linux!). It has instructions for how to do things. For
example, in my case the first command once I made sure that all the
other files and utilities LyX likes to see were installed was:

./configure --with-frontend=qt --with-qt-dir=/usr/share/qt3
--with-version-suffix

That way, the resulting executable is labeled with the version as "lyx
1.4.1" and can peacefully co-exist with a prior version.

Then, when the configuration was done, it was a simple:

make
make install

and the deed was done.

My distribution is Kubuntu Dapper, and unfortunately the version in
the repository is 1.3.7. To do the 1.4.1, I wound up having to do the
compile from source.

If you haven't installed anything from source before, it is a valuable
experience to have.

Meanwhile, if you haven't done so and are running a 586 kernel, see
about a 686-- assuming you run anything Pentium II or newer in the
32-bit world.

David